Does it sometimes feel like everything is in disarray? Regardless of how hard you try, you just aren’t able to eliminate the chaos. In your mind, you’re probably thinking that just too much is happening at once.
However, have you stopped to consider an alternate explanation for the chaos? Maybe it has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of things happening. Instead, it may simply be due to how you organize your time.
The opportunity to turn chaos into relative calm is within reach.
With these simple, yet effective, organization tips, you’ll be able to experience a complete turnaround:
1. Allow yourself time to breathe. It’s easy to get overwhelmed! And especially if you aren’t able to squeeze breathing time into your schedule. Breathing time refers to those moments you get to re-collect yourself.
- Take a break. Have a laugh with friends or watch an episode of your favorite TV show.
- Breathing allows you to re-center yourself and gain renewed energy. When you do this, you’re able to take on each new challenge as it it’s your first.
2. Focus on productivity. It’s easy to be distracted by the noise around you. And sometimes it’s that noise that gives you the feeling of chaos. Instead of giving everything your attention, try to focus on the things that matter.
- It’s difficult to be productive with many things happening at the same time. Hand-pick the things that are important and kindly ask everything else to take a back seat.
- It’s better to accomplish a few meaningful things each day than to dabble in a thousand irrelevant tasks.
- You’ll feel more at ease at the end of the day when you produce results.
3. Prioritize. Take inventory of all the things you need to get done. You’ve already established that everything else is “noise.” Now, take a moment to rank the to-do list in terms of importance.
- Always do first things first. The things that are most important need to be at the top of the list.
- You’ll find that this approach helps you to calmly focus on one thing at a time. Knowing that you’ve made time for each item is important. It allows you to relax while doing each one instead of feeling anxious about something getting left behind.
- Try to complete each item before moving to the other. Choosing to abandon this strategy can easily result in the chaos returning!
4. Ask for help. This is perhaps the easiest way to turn chaos into calming balance. Sure, you want to do it all yourself. But maybe that’s an unrealistic desire. Look around. Ask those trustworthy people around you to lend a hand.
- If you know people who are responsible, you’ll be able to trust them with helping you. Just explain to them what you want accomplished. They’ll likely be able to help you get the job done.
- When you ask for help, you’ll automatically start to relax. And that’s because you know stuff is getting done in an acceptable manner. Taking this approach gives you enough time to concentrate fully on other things.
You can make it through your busy life without feeling burned out. It’s simple if you apply these steps for reducing chaos. Once you change your approach, you can expect calmness to take over. Finally, you can give your mind and body some well-deserved relief!
About The Author – Ed Gough, Jr.
Ed's experience working with fathers and men injects an extra dose of thoughtfulness into all of his conversations in these areas. His mission is to bring purpose and clarity to fathers' and men's lives. He believes that "the better men are, the better the world will be".
Ed has been a member of Dad central (Ontario) Steering Committee since May 2019. Ed hosts Dad Central's monthly epic events and was the moderator for the "Dad's Panel" at the 2019 Side-by-Side: Fatherhood Matters in the Early Years" conference.
Ed has been the host and producer of his own award winning online show The Dr. Vibe Show™ for the last decade. He's done over 2000 interviews with people from all over the world. In 2018, The Dr. Vibe Show™ was the recipient of the Innovation Award by the Canadian Ethnic Media Association (CEMA). Since May 2013, The Dr. Vibe Show™ is the first and only online show to be regularly featured on the popular U.S. based men’s website The Good Men Project.
Ways to connect: