Confidence affects every part of your life. Your boss and coworkers feel more admiration, trust, and respect for you when your confidence is high. You’re also more attractive to others. Even though you may not feel confident, there are steps you can take each day to grow your confidence.
In time, feeling more confident will become a habit. Greater confidence is one habit that you’ll never want to break!
Make confidence a priority in your life with these tips:
1. Ensure your grooming is top notch. You can’t feel confident if your hair is still matted to your head after a long night of sleep. Take care of the basics each day. You might think that others don’t notice when you skip these basic grooming steps, but you’d be mistaken:
- Bathe or shower.
- Brush your hair and teeth.
- Take care of any unruly eyebrows, nose hairs, or ear hairs.
- Use deodorant.
2. Dress in a way that makes you feel confident. Dress appropriately for the day you have planned. Choose your clothes the night before. Wear clothing that is clean, free of wrinkles, and in good repair. If you require help matching your clothes, enlist the help of a stylish friend or neighbour.
3. Have a plan for the day and follow it. It’s easier to be confident if you have a plan. Living a random existence creates uncertainty and doubt.
- Make a list of things to do the night before and get those items accomplished. A successful day will grow your confidence. The feeling of a wasted day can result in feeling less capable.
4. Look ahead and be prepared. Be prepared for everything on your schedule. Are a few of your coworkers carpooling with you tomorrow? Ensure your car is clean, gassed up, and ready to go. Plan for any presentations or other work responsibilities.
- One of the most effective ways to feel confident is to be well-prepared.
5. Keep your self-talk positive. There’s a constant dialog going on between your ears from the moment you wake up in the morning until you fall asleep at night. You even experience it during your dreams. Fortunately, it’s possible to control the content of this incessant banter.
- Positive self-talk can change your mood and your belief in yourself. Be kind and supportive while talking to yourself.
6. Do one thing you’re good at. Whether it’s shooting free throws in the driveway, playing Space Invaders, or playing Mozart on the piano, spend a few minutes doing something that makes you feel like an expert. Success breeds confidence.
7. Be assertive. Let people know what you think and need. Assertiveness and confidence go hand in hand. You’ll have more control over the outcomes in your life. When you can control your life, you’ll feel more confident. Others might not comply with your requests, but make your desires known.
8. Practice confident body language. Stand tall and walk proudly. Keep your head up and avoid looking at the floor. Smile. Act confident and you’ll feel more confident.
- Watch movies with confident characters and notice how they stand, move, and interact with others. Adopt a few ideas into your own mannerisms.
Start today by putting a few of these ideas into action. You can overcome your current lack of self-confidence. Growing your self-confidence will result in advances in multiple areas of your life. When you’re more confident, you make others and yourself feel better. No one else will do this for you. Decide today to become more confident.
About The Author – Ed Gough, Jr.
Ed's experience working with fathers and men injects an extra dose of thoughtfulness into all of his conversations in these areas. His mission is to bring purpose and clarity to fathers' and men's lives. He believes that "the better men are, the better the world will be".
Ed has been a member of Dad central (Ontario) Steering Committee since May 2019. Ed hosts Dad Central's monthly epic events and was the moderator for the "Dad's Panel" at the 2019 Side-by-Side: Fatherhood Matters in the Early Years" conference.
Ed has been the host and producer of his own award winning online show The Dr. Vibe Show™ for the last decade. He's done over 2000 interviews with people from all over the world. In 2018, The Dr. Vibe Show™ was the recipient of the Innovation Award by the Canadian Ethnic Media Association (CEMA). Since May 2013, The Dr. Vibe Show™ is the first and only online show to be regularly featured on the popular U.S. based men’s website The Good Men Project.
Ways to connect: